The legendary Zydrunas Savickas of Lithuania won the Arnold Strongman Classic for the eighth time when he came from behind in the final event to beat Brian Shaw of Lupton, Colorado, by one point and win the 2016 Arnold Strongman Classic in dramatic fashion.
Savickas trailed Shaw 35-32 entering The Timber Carry, the contest’s final event. Savickas carried the 1,102-pound wooden frame up a 35-foot-ramp in 13.0 seconds, good for first place in the event and 10 points. Shaw got the frame up in 18.62 seconds but was fifth, giving Zavickas a 42-41 win.
Savickas received congratulations from Arnold Schwarzenegger, $72,000 and the Louis Cyr Trophy. Shaw, the 2011 and 2015 champion, received $22,000 for finishing second.
Also competing were:
- 3rd place (36 points): Vytautas Lalas of Lithuania received $17,000.
- 4th place (33.5): Mateusz Kieliskowski of Poland received $12,000.
- 5th place (32.5): Hafthor Bjornsson of Iceland received $10,000.
- 6th place (24.5): Jerry Pritchett of Phoenix, Ariz., received $7,000
- 7th place (22.5): Mikael Shivilyakov of Russia received $6,000
- 8th place (18.5): Dimitar Savatinov of Russia received $4,000.
- 9th place (11): Eddie Hall of the United Kingdom received $3,000.
- 10th place (10.5): Aleksandr Lysenko of Russia received $2,000.
The 2016 Arnold Strongman Classic was contested over two days in five events: Rogue Elephant Bar Deadlift, The Austrian Oak, The Cyr Dumbbell, The Bale Tote and The Timber Carry. The Timber Carry was held at the Battelle Grand at the Greater Columbus Convention Center as part of the Arnold Classic, Bikini International and Arnold Men’s Physique Finals.